What’s the gravest threat to a carpet? Is it dirt, dog pee, wine spills? No, water is actually a carpet’s biggest threat. By water, we’re not talking about a small spill from a cup of H2O. We mean a soaked carpet from a flood or a serious pipe leak. The good news is that a flooded carpet may be salvageable.
How to Save a Flooded Carpet
First, you need to call a carpet cleaning company ASAP. They’ll determine whether the carpet is savable. You can also conduct a few easy steps on your end. Do these steps to quickly remove as much of the water as you can.
- Lay towels over the wet carpet; replace them with dry ones once they’re mostly saturated.
- Use high-powered fans; you can rent these at your local hardware store.
- Open all the doors and windows. However, if it’s a humid day, then shut the windows and switch on the heating system instead.
- Switch on the dehumidifier and keep it running for the entire day. Periodically inspect the dehumidifier’s canister and empty it when it’s nearly filled to the brim.
- Pour baking soda over the wet carpet to minimize odors. Let it sit for 30-minutes before vacuuming it.
When to Replace a Carpet
In some instances, you might have to dispose of a wet carpet and replace it. This may be the case if you don’t act right away and mold begins growing, which can occur as quickly as 24 hours. We also recommend replacing the carpet if the floodwater included unsanitary black water. The same goes for upholstery and furniture that were also saturated in the process.
Let Us Restore Your Soaked Carpet in Tacoma
Whether from rainfall or a burst pipe, contact Rick’s Family Carpet Care if water engulfs your carpet. We also provide tile and grout cleaning as part of a wider cleaning project. A soaked carpet is a serious issue that warrants professional servicing right away.
Soaked Carpet Restoration in Tacoma
Serving Customers in Tacoma, Puyallup, Spanaway, Graham, Yelm, McKenna, Roy, Lakewood, Steilacoom, Dupont, Lacey, Tumwater, University Place, Federal Way, Gig Harbor, Sumner, Edgewood, Milton, Kent, Auburn, Renton and Fife